Archive for category Cooking Tips
The premise that a product will end up on this list is simple. That the product has to have worked for me.
I am always looking for the quick, and easy, ways to produce a meal for myself. I’m a cook who cooks for one, so an elaborate evening meal for one, is often not on the cards. Mostly my evening meal needs something quick,easy, and tasting very good.
This is a list of the things which have gone through my pantry which I find good, and will use again.
|Product||Rating||Comments and Uses|
|Latina Fresh Fettuccine||Great pasta, what you would expect from a quality Italian restaurant.
It is in the refrigeration section in the supermarket.
|Leggos Calabrese Pasta Sauce||Very good pasta sauce, for something out of the bottle. If you want a great pasta sauce, then you have the job of making it.
Very nice tomato and capsicum flavour.
Lasted OK in the fridge, no instant mould problems.
This one is a tip for a quick pasta meal.
Latina Fresh Fettuccine Latina Fresh Pasta 2 minutes to cook, and beats dry pasta hands down. Armed with the fresh fettuccine and a bottle of pasta sauce, you can have a hot, home cooked, meal in the time it take to boil a saucepan of water (+ 2 minutes).
For a quick meal:
- just boil the water (plus some salt, 1/2 teaspoon of salt – don’t add oil to the water) on the stove. and give the pasta it’s 2 minutes to cook.
- while that is happening pour a bit of pasta sauce into the a pasta bowl. The pasta sauce I used was Legos Calabrese Pasta Sauce, very nice and lasts OK in the fridge (much more than one meal)
- (Optional) Heat the sauce in the microwave (< 1 minute on high – make sure you cover it – it can explode). Optional because if your quick with the next step, the heat of the pasta will warm the sauce.
- Drain the pasta in a colander (worthwhile kitchen gadget – get a stainless steel on and put it through the dish washer).
- Add pasta to sauce.
- Grate some Parmesan Reggiano – expensive but worthwhile for the flavour.
- Fettuccine Pasta : Latina Fresh Fettuccine. Fresh pasta you’d expect to find in a very good Italian Restaurant, take home from the fridge section in the supermarket.
- Pasta Sauce: Leggos Calabrese Pasta Sauce. Very tasty, nice capsicum and tomatoes flavour. I’ll start a list rating the sauces I’m trying.
- Cheese Grater : Zyliss Classic Cheese Grater. The thing is good, and simple, but it works and is dishwasher safe.
- Parmesan Cheese: Parmigiano Reggiano (the proper Italian name). The “good stuff”, I would not go for any other alternative on pasta.