Posts Tagged Windows 7
After going through the initial setup on the machine, which I configured the date time, wireless network password, and the home group password. There were a couple of steps which I believed needed doing, before going forward with installing the drivers for the various pieces of musical hardware, and installing the music software.
This one is something you may thing, just one run and things will be fine. My experience has shown that the first run gets a bunch of updates, but you need a couple more “check for updates” to completely exhaust the list of things which need to be updated. The joys of having consequential update dependencies (update A installs component Y which has another update B available).
I’ve the machine talking straight to my gigabit switch (chunk of Cat 5 cable comes in handy), as the built-in wireless networking card “Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card” goes too slow (See Blog post » Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card – Slow!). The windows configuration start up wizard goes through the basics of the networking up and running.
Networking and Backup
One of the big “bug bears” I have with Windows 7 is that Windows 7 Backup will only backup to a network attached device in the higher levels of Windows 7 (Professional or Ultimate) . My preference is to backup my machines to my NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices. So, I need to upgrade the version Windows.
Another grumble at Dell, I was not presented with the option of upgrading, or specifying, the version of Windows 7 installed on the machine.
After doing the following:
- Making sure the version of Windows 7 has all of the patches installed from Windows Update,
- Upgrading the version of Windows 7 to Ultimate (it was only $20 difference between professional and ultimate through Windows Anytime Update),
- Replacing the wireless network interface with on that works at a reasonable speed, and
- Taking a full backup image of the system, before I start installing anything music related on the system.
Finally, I’m ready to start installing the music software, and music device drivers, I want to run on the system. That will be tomorrow, I need some relaxation time this evening. The “ups and downs” of the installation process, will undoubtedly be another post (or two) to this blog.
One important thing to note before I start installing. I will be installing all of the device drivers first for the music instrument interfaces first, and then the music software (Guitar Pro 5 to start with). I really want to give the software the best chance of installing as smoothly as possible, and this approach should minimise the chances of “things going wrong”.
This post continues the saga of the installation Windows 7 (previous post The start of the saga)
Problem 1 Resolved – Sort Of
I’ve finally got the machine to boot from the DVD – the 64 bit one at that!
Hit F2 when the BIOS is loading (the first thing after a reboot). Change the sequence that the machine was looking for bootable devices. The original settings had the hard drive before the DVD. What was needed was the DVD before the hard drive.
- I was on the right track to start with, but fell down a “trap for young players”. I should have been smarter (but then again, it is the first time I’ve done this, so I’ll let myself off – just this once).
- Waiting for the next “issue” to be fixed". At present it is quite happily “Expanding Windows Files” (I hope it does not jamb up like it did in the Vista upgrade).